Monday, June 13, 2016

Reversible Baby Romper Tutorial

Recently I was asked to design a reversible baby romper for baby boys. Cute baby boy clothes are hard to find patterns for, so I decided that I was up for the challenge. Elijah is still leary of modeling for me, but I did snap a few adorable pictures of this process so I hope you enjoy it!


how to make a reversible romper


The first thing that I did was start with my shorts pattern and my reversible jumper pattern. I wanted something that fit as great as the jumper did on the bodice, but with the great fitting shorts as well. After almost an entire day of adjusting pattern pieces and finagling ideas, I finally had my design. It couldn't be more perfect! I needed it to have a large range of sizes, so you'll find this one in sizes newborn to 36 months.
A partial screen shot of my pattern in the design program


I knew that I didn't want the typical romper design which had a seam up the front. I wanted something with a bodice that one could embroider on, or have a cute contrasting fabric. I also knew that I wanted this pattern to be used with woven fabrics, so it had to fit perfectly.

romper pattern great fit


So after I made the initial romper, I was hooked! It's just beautiful  handsome and fits like a dream!
I even made a tutorial video to go with it! You can find the video here:
https://mammacandoit.com/pages/how-to-sew-a-romper

Once the pattern was made, I sent it to the person who originally requested the design. She gave me great tips on what I could do to improve the pattern as well as a beautiful picture of her first one that she is putting in her etsy shop!
how to make a romper
Aren't these adorable?!!?!

Today, after edits, I am finally posting the final pattern and have it available on my website. You can find it here: Reversible Baby Romper Pattern

Overall, this project was really fun and I would love to do another one that someone has for me! Special requests are so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment