Thursday, October 25, 2012

Best and easiest hummus receipe ever

With cold and flu season ready to take over my household, I try to add garlic to everything I cook...but the best cold fighter is RAW garlic. I don't know about you, but raw garlic tastes TERRIBLE to me...that is unless it is in hummus! Hummus is a wonderful snack. Packed with protein and germ killing garlic, it is the perfect fall snack.
Until the past few months however, I have had a hard time getting my hummus consistency right. Here is how I make my hummus now - perfect, easy, great consistency and delish!


The first step is to put one garlic clove in the blender. I chop it into a few pieces. I like my hummus to be very garlicy so I use a gigantic clove if I have one. If you prefer less garlic, use a small clove.


Add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Blend thoroughly until all of the garlic chunks are gone.



Add one can of rinsed garbanzo beans (chick peas). Also add about 1/4 of the can full of water. I add the water slowly while blending to be sure it's a smooth and creamy, but thick consistency.

Once beans are blended, I like to add a bit of parsley and salt. This step you can add whatever you like...even jalapenos are excellent in hummus for a spicy batch!

Next step is to add 3 Tablespoons of tahini. I have read that you can and have tried using peanut butter in it's place....it's just not the same. Tahini is ground sesame seeds that have the consistency of peanut butter, but TOTALLY different taste.
The tahini will thicken the hummus slightly. yummy!



Once mixed, grab a handful of homemade crackers and eat! mmmm!
I'll post the homemade cracker recipe sometime. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment